Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Passing gas - Even closer to spring ~ Blog excerpt

Blog excerpt
http://manixter.livejournal.com/1496.html

..........But on friday, I was up until quarter to 6. Just enough time to get a nap in before checking in with the incomming call person and driving home. Nothing specific-- a few general surgery cases with a slow surgeon topped off with a three-peat bowel obstruction. Which is to say, a patient who was on surgery #3 for obstructed bowel-- which means-- adhesions.Then, on sunday, I had the privilage of doing a small bowel transplant on a patient with even more adhesions than I had ever thought possible. For most patients, no matter how specific you get, there are usually 10 other patients that match the description. This is depressing, but it avoids violating HIPPA too too much. Small bowels are rare enough (unfortunately not rare enough for me), that I will try to be as general as possible. Suffice to say, the trifecta of a patient with other medical issues, a family situation that is... less than stable, and the standard bad-things that happen to small bowel transplants means I will see this patient again and again, eventually for her retransplant/ enterectomy. So I am NOT thrilled that I was up all night doing this surgery. Not to mention it wasn't as smooth as pediatric bowel transplants in a patient of that age typically are.

No comments: