Sunday, April 09, 2006

SITUATIONAL DEPRESSION VS CHRONIC DEPRESSION

Understanding Depression and wondering why me? The fact is that anyone can get depression.

SITUATIONAL DEPRESSION
Situational depression is a normal reaction to a painful life event, such as the death of a loved one, the loss of a job or a divorce. It is not a biochemical illness like chronic depression. Symptoms of situational depression are the same as those of a major depression. They may include despair, trouble sleeping, irritability, change in appetite, difficulty concentrating and emotional withdrawal. Because symptoms are the same, it can be hard to distinguish between situational and major depression. But situational depression is caused by some external event and is generally self-limiting; it goes away when the cause of the problem fades. How long it takes depends on the person and the circumstances. The effect of losing a ball game may dissipate in a day; it may take a year or more to recover after the death of a loved one. If situational depression seems out of proportion to the loss or goes on too long, however, medical help may be needed.Treatment may consist of brief psychotherapy, short-term use of antidepressant drugs or a combination of both.

Chronic Depression

Chronic Depression (Ongoing or reoccurring depression which is extremely resistive to treatment)Dealing with chronic depression is by nature confrontational. We are trying to reverse the addictions of the unconscious mind and the unconscious will for certain, resist our efforts Depression is a process that happens, we do not willingly cause it to happen, nor do we actively want it to continue. Those who have never been depressed many times think otherwise. To them it is crystal clear what we are doing wrong to cause and perpetuate our own depression. chronic depression is the result of our inadvertently allowing the depression itself to determine and dictate both the cause and the cure of our depression. In other words, we are relying on the depressed mind to come up with the answers needed to end the depression. As the depression progresses our problem solving sessions digress from time spent trying to solve undue and unresolved stress, into a time spent worrying that there is no solution. We begin to devise solutions aimed at relieving the pain and the symptoms of depression rather finding solutions to the underlying cause of that depression.
Take Charge of your life ; 1 step at a time
Depression is not something you can just "snap out of." It's caused by an imbalance of brain chemicals, along with other factors. Like any serious medical condition, depression needs to be treated. The first step in fighting depression is to understand what it is, how it affects you, and what causes it!
Depression Basics
Many people feel as if there is a dark cloud over their head or have no energy,or irritable all the time. But if your are feeling down for more than 2 weeks you are most likely clinically depressed.
Most people that are depressed never seek medical help. Treating depression is especially important because it affects you, your family, and your work. Some people with depression try to harm themselves in the mistaken belief that how they are feeling will never change. Depression is a treatable illness. You learn to manage depression with a doctor a therapist and medication.
Depression is not just a state of mind, it is in fact the a chemical imbalance in the brain!
Some things that cause Depression are:
family History, injury or trauma and stress, also pessimistic personality, physical conditions and psychological disorders
Depression day by day! Once you have realized you have depression and seek treatment, it will help but it will take time and will not happen overnight. So be patient, keep busy and make your self do things everyday, no matter how you feel!
My story on depression
Now let me all tell you this is very hard for me to talk about but here it goes. Back in 2000 I tried to kill myself by overdosing it was right after my Hysterectomy. I was on suicide watch the whole 9 yards !! I truly did not want to live like that !! A lot of it had to do with my surgery and how I felt. But they also say depression can come back and let me tell you it is very true ! It is 4 years later and I am fighting a battle of major depression. Yes I think it is both kinds of depression at the moment! But an Angel of mercy has been helping me! I would like to give a big Thank You SOT! now I have lately had trouble doing things and yes wanting to end it all has come to my mind again!! Boy those pills sound good I would just close my eyes and never awake what bliss!! The end of my pain and suffering of ARD. Boy it is so hard for me to go on and I am still fighting it! But now I know I need to get treatment if I want to continue to live because it scares me what if I do something dumb! now all this research got me thinking about my family and how much they would miss me and how the rest of the ARD world needs me, to make a difference for our future! I know that not one person with ARD wants to live this way ! I am in the why me stage why did I get punished what did do to deserve this??? Yes it scares me and so does my future. So if I am not around some days its because I am fighting depression! And I will seek medical help because now I know I can NOT do this on my Own!
GOD BLESS!!!! Love always CoLette WC2

Well this is something we should all think about! Be honest with yourself. Do you need help with depression before its too late? Please get help if you think you are depressed either situational or chronic it is important to your health and your friends and family! I have been taught this by my angel and she gave me this topic for a reason! I may have to live with depression., But it can be managed!

No comments: